Spark Grants - Human Trafficking
About Human Trafficking (September 2017)
Human trafficking is modern day slavery and this crime is happening across the United State, and in Pennsylvania including the Lehigh Valley. Traffickers use force, fraud and coercion to manipulate victims into engaging in commercial sex acts, or labor or services, in exchange for something of monetary value.
One of the fastest growing criminal enterprises in the world, the UN Office on Drugs and Crime estimated that the industry generates more than $32 billion per year. According to Polaris Project, the average entry of children into sex trafficking is age 12-15 and runaway youth are high risk for exploitation by traffickers.
Grant Application Application Period Closed
The video voting campaign for Human Trafficking will be held from Monday, September 11 to Friday, September 22. Grants will be announced by September 28, 2017.
MAKE A GIFT | 50th Anniversary Spark Grant Initiatives for Human Trafficking
Gifts in the form of a check can be made payable to the Spark Grants - Human Trafficking and mailed to The Lehigh Valley Community Foundation, 840 West Hamilton Street, Suite 310, Allentown, PA 18101. Gifts can also be made via credit card by clicking the PayPal 'Donate' button below. A PayPal account is not required to make an online gift to the Fund. Gifts to the fund will be used to support the Community Foundation's funding of organizations in Northampton and Lehigh Counties who provide mental and behavioral health services and education.
MAKING THE CASE
Human Sex Trafficking*
- Over 50% of human trafficking victims are children.
- Up to 90% of women involved in prostitution or sex trafficking in the United States have a childhood history of sexual abuse.
- In 2015, there were 4, 136 reports of sex trafficking in the U.S.
- 89% of pornography comes from the U.S. It drives the demand for sex trafficking and is used as a training tool with sexually trafficked victims
- 1/3 of runaway youth will be lured into trafficking within 48 hours of leaving home.
- $250,000 is the average amount of single sex slave earns for her trafficker in a year.
- 47% of victims reported injury by men who demanded sex acts seen in porn.
- 1 out of 10 U.S. men buy sex from trafficked women or girls.
In the Valley*
- 3 minors identified as victims of convicted traffickers in the Lehigh Valley in 2015.
- Over 40 victims of sex trafficking served by VAST in the Lehigh Valley since 2012
- Since 2012, 5 traffickers were put behind bars and were “doing business” in 7 different sates.
- In 2016, 17 businesses currently identified as sexually oriented.
(Source - VAST, Valley Against Sex Trafficing)
- According to VAST, between 85 and 95 percent of prostitution is pimp controlled, and it often leads to drug and alcohol addiction. (http://thebrownandwhite.com/2017/02/01/sex-trafficking-lehigh-valley/)
- 1 in 4 women in the United States will have been abused sexually before the age of 18. (http://thebrownandwhite.com/2017/02/01/sex-trafficking-lehigh-valley/)
- Between sex trafficking and labor trafficking, some 27 million people in the U.S. are currently victims of trafficking – and 300,000 children each year are at risk of joining that number. (https://www.kidspeace.org/human-trafficking-in-lehigh-valley/)
- In 2014, ICE, which investigates human trafficking domestically and across American borders, reported a nearly six-fold increase in human trafficking convictions. (http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-lehigh-valley-sex-trafficking-20150509-story.html)
- Between 2012 and 2014, convictions for the crimes more than doubled from 381 to 828 nationally. (http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-lehigh-valley-sex-trafficking-20150509-story.html)
- In 2015, Lehigh County recorded a 34 percent increase in prostitution arrests due to online prostitution busts and a heroin epidemic that has affected the Lehigh Valley. (http://www.mcall.com/news/local/mc-lehigh-valley-sex-trafficking-20150509-story.html)