How to Apply for Community Partnership Grants
The Lehigh Valley Community Foundation awards Community Partnership grants on an annual, competitive basis to publicly supported organizations with 501(c)(3) exempt status located in Lehigh and Northampton Counties for programs provided in those counties. Additionally, the Ben Franklin Trust Fund provides limited funding for non-profit organizations located in Monroe County. For more information about grants to Monroe County, please contact the Foundation.
The Foundation alternates its Community Partnership grant focus each year based on six specific areas of grantmaking: Arts, Culture & Heritage; Education; Environment: Healthcare; Human Services and Community Development.
Applications for Community Partnership grants will be accepted only from organizations with a mission that is within one of the areas being funded that year. If the program for which funding is sought is in one of the areas being funded that year, but the organization's mission is not, the application will not be considered.
In odd-numbered calendar years, applications will be accepted from non-profits whose missions are focused on:
- Arts, Culture, and Heritage
In even-numbered calendar years, applications will be accepted from non-profits whose missions are focused on:
- Human Services
- Community Development
Once an organization is placed in an even year or an odd year cycle, it will remain in that cycle.
In determining an organization’s grantmaking area, the Foundation uses the National Taxonomy of Exempt Entities (NTEE) Classification System. An organization’s mission (as reflected in its NTEE code), not the program for which it is seeking funding, determines how it is classified. One NTEE code is assigned by the IRS upon initial approval of a non-profit's status.
An organization’s NTEE code can be determined by:
- The organization’s original 501(C)(3) Determination Letter from the IRS
- The organization’s Guidestar profile
- The IRS Exempt Organizations Business Master File
- Share Lehigh Valley website
LVCF has matched NTEE codes to the six grantmaking areas as follows:
- Arts, Culture and Heritage - A
- Education - B
- Environment – C, D
- Healthcare – E, F, G, H
- Human Services – I, J, K, L, M, N, O, P
- Community Development – Q, R, S, T, U, V, W, X, Y
Community Partnership Timeline
- Online Application Available: May 1, 2017 (Click Here for Online Application)
- Application Deadline: June 30, 2017 at noon
- Grantees Notified: December 31, 2017