Community Foundation Seeking Nominations for 2018 Outstanding BASD Teacher Awards
Allentown, Pa., March 1, 2018—The Lehigh Valley Community Foundation is accepting nominations for its B.E.S.T. Awards that reward excellence in teaching at the K-12 levels in the Bethlehem Area School District (BASD).
“This is an excellent opportunity for teachers, administrators, parents and others to nominate a BASD teacher that is making a difference in their school,” said Bernie Story, President and CEO of the Community Foundation. “The recipients of the B.E.S.T. Award receive a certificate, a monetary award, and special recognition by the school district.”
Teachers are chosen to receive one of three B.E.S.T. Awards:
- The Seymour and Sophie Haber Award for Excellence in Teaching at the Elementary Level
- The Bernie Cohen Award for Excellence in Teaching at the Middle School Level
- The Anthony Ruggiero Award for Excellence in Teaching at the High School Level
B.E.S.T was established more than two decades ago by a group of Bethlehem civic and business leaders who believed that the work of teachers is so critical to the community—as well as to the students—that outstanding teachers required special recognition.
Since then, recipients of the B.E.S.T. Awards are chosen by a committee which is comprised of teachers and educational professionals from both inside and outside the district as well as several past recipients of the B.E.S.T.
LVCF is seeking nominations for teachers who:
- Support students, the BASD, and the community beyond the classroom;
- Convey enthusiasm and are experts in the subjects they teach;
- Has outstanding personal characteristics that enhance teaching and learning; and
- Are a positive influence on parents, students, fellow teachers and administrators.
In 2017, the B.E.S.T. Award winning teachers were: Kim Donatelli, first grade teacher at Governor Wolf Elementary School, (posthumously); Theodora Loupos-Augustino, Literacy & English Language Arts Teacher, Nitschmann Middle School; and Jennifer Cierech, World Languages Teacher, Freedom High School
For a complete list of B.E.S.T. Award winners from 2000-2016, click here .
To nominate a BASD teacher for the award, use the Online Nomination System.
It's easy to nominate and honor your favorite teacher. The nomination deadline is April 2, 2018. The awards will be announced in August 2018.