Community Foundation Seeking Nominations for Outstanding BASD Teacher Awards
Allentown, Pa., April 17, 2017—The Lehigh Valley Community Foundation is accepting nominations for its B.E.S.T. Awards that reward excellence in teaching at the K-12 levels in the Bethlehem Area School District (BASD).
“This is an excellent opportunity for teachers, administrators, parents and others to nominate a BASD teacher that is making a difference in their school,” said Bernie Story, President and CEO of the Community Foundation. “The recipients of the B.E.S.T. Award receive a certificate, a monetary award, and special recognition by the school district.”
Teachers are chosen to receive one of three B.E.S.T. Awards:
- The Seymour and Sophie Haber Award for Excellence in Teaching at the Elementary Level
- The Bernie Cohen Award for Excellence in Teaching at the Middle School Level
- The Anthony Ruggiero Award for Excellence in Teaching at the High School Level
B.E.S.T was established more than two decades ago by a group of Bethlehem civic and business leaders who believed that the work of teachers is so critical to the community—as well as to the students—that outstanding teachers required special recognition.
Since then, recipients of the B.E.S.T. Awards are chosen by a committee which is comprised of teachers and educational professionals from both inside and outside the district as well as several past recipients of the B.E.S.T.
LVCF is seeking nominations for teachers who:
- Support students, the BASD, and the community beyond the classroom;
- Convey enthusiasm and are experts in the subjects they teach;
- Has outstanding personal characteristics that enhance teaching and learning; and
- Are a positive influence on parents, students, fellow teachers and administrators.
In 2016, the B.E.S.T. Award winning teachers were: Kathy West, Donegan Elementary, Janet Longyore, East Hills Middle School, and Joseph Stellato, Freedom High School. For a complete list of Award winners from 2000-2016, click here.
To nominate a BASD teacher for the award, the Nomination Form is online - Click Here. It's easy to nominate and honor your favorite teacher. The nomination deadline is May 1, 2017. The grants will be announced in August 31, 2017.