Spark Grants - Environment & Sustainability
About Environment & Sustainability (July 2017)
Environmental sustainability is a state in which the demands placed on the environment can be met without reducing its capacity to allow all people to live well, now and in the future. Environmental sustainability promotes systems and actions that support human well-being and are compatible with sustaining natural (environmental) systems.
These systems provide ecological services vital for human survival, typically consider long time horizons, incorporate contributions from the social sciences and ethics, and seeks to balance society's need to provide ecological protection and maintain stable economic conditions.
HOW CAN YOU HELP? GIVE TO THE CAUSE. ENVIRONMENT & SUSTAINABILITY
Help us give more to this issue and raise awareness in 2017 by making a tax-deductible gift with our PayPal account. LVCF donor-advised funds can provide support with a simple email request.
GET INFORMED. Learn more about environment and sustainability by viewing the five finalist videos beginning July 3 and vote for the one you like best. These organizations are tackling this important issue in the Lehigh Valley in a creative and collaborative way.
GET INVOLVED. Attend our awareness event to meet other funders and to hear from community leaders and organizations serving this important issue.
Environment and Sustainability: How Green is Our Valley?
How protecting nature protects the quality of life in our region
Cindy Adams Dunn, Secretary of the Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources
Michael Stershic, President, Discover Lehigh Valley
Wednesday, August 2, 3:00 - 6:00 p.m. Join us for a great program in a unique setting!
Program Schedule (Activities Optional)
- Optional Light Guided Hike with Wildands President Chris Kocher.....3:00 p.m.
- Program Registration................................................3:45 p.m.
- Presentation & Program............................................4:00 p.m.
- Award $50,000 in Spark Grants.................................4:45 p.m.
- Reception & Refreshments, including Wildlands Wildlife................5:00 p.m.
Casual Attire Encouraged | Family-Friendly Event (bring the kids)
Pool Wildlife Sanctuary Pavilion | Wildlands Conservancy | 3701 Orchid Place, Emmaus, Pa. 18049
To register for this "family-fun philanthropy" event, contact Linda Schmoyer at email@example.com.
Thank you to our event Spark Sponsor:
Environment & Sustainability Grant Process
The application period is closed. Thank you to those who submitted applications. The video voting campaign will run from July 3 to July 14...stay tuned. Grants will be announced on July 31, 2017
MAKING THE CASE | ENVIRONMENT & SUSTAINABILITY
- In 2013, a survey distributed by the Lehigh Valley Planning Commission found that Lehigh Valley residents felt that clean air and water quality should be a top priority for improvement in the region.
- According to U.S. Census statistics, nearly 95% of the region’s labor force uses a car to get to work, school or shopping, increasing fossil fuel emissions into the atmosphere.
- Only 15% of Lehigh Valley residents live within walking distance of a school or grocery store.
- Since 1930, the Lehigh Valley has lost 80% of its farms and 53% of its farmland.
- Based on the average diet, Lehigh Valley farmers can only produce food for 24% of the Lehigh Valley population.
- From 1964- 2010, the amount of available agriculture and vacant lots decreased from 74% to 48%.
- Only 9% of the Lehigh County is preserved and 2.3 square miles of farmland is being lost to development annually.
- In Northampton County only 5.92% of total acreage is preserved.