Nonprofit Effectiveness Program
2021 Nonprofit Effectiveness Program Overview
The Nonprofit Effectiveness Program was launched as a pilot in 2018 and will soon complete two full funding cycles. This upcoming year, LVCF is aiming to fund a new cohort of organizations that are led by Black, Indigenous, and People of Color (BIPOC) and that serve Lehigh Valley’s Black and Brown communities. LVCF aims to build the capacity of these organizations due to historical lack of funding to support BIPOC organizations and the demonstrated impact of these organizations. Targeted funding for organizational capacity-building is necessary to ensure the long-term sustainability of these important organizations. The Lehigh Valley Community Foundation initiated this grant opportunity in recognition of the important role that BIPOC-led organizations have in providing culturally-responsive services and programs to the Lehigh Valley community.
The 2021 application period closed on December 2020
What We Support
Examples of past projects that we have supported through this program can be found here. Additionally, for inspiration in assessing a project for submission, organizations can reference this framework from Mission Capital that outlines six critical elements to nonprofit work. In addition to these six categories, LVCF has also funded projects that advance Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion within organizations.
Basic eligibility criteria
- Organization must be a qualified charitable organization. Grants may be recommended to any 501(c)(3) public charity or verified charitable entity (e.g., schools, colleges and universities, religious institutions, town and municipal governments, etc.)
- Organizations must deliver services or programs in Lehigh or Northampton county.
- Organization must have a direct-service or program element.
- Organization must be led by a person that is Black, Indigenous or a Person of Color AND the mission of the organization must serve Lehigh Valley’s BIPOC communities. The CEO or Executive Director of the organization must be a BIPOC individual.
- Organizations must affirm that they do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran or marital status.
If you have questions about your organization's eligibility or fit for the fund, please contact Megan Briggs, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Range of Grant Awards
Grant awards will fall between a funding range of $10,000 - $14,000. In addition to the grant awards, the organization will receive professional development opportunities throughout the grant period.
How to Apply
- To start the process, review the process, deadlines, and what we support.
- Complete the criteria self-assessment. Click here to complete the criteria self-assessment.
- If the request is a match to LVCF’s Nonprofit Effectiveness Pilot criteria, you will be asked to complete a very short submission form at the end of the assessment. You can download the submission form questions here.
- The submission form must be completed by December 11, 2020. Application period is now closed.
- Once the submission form is completed, our staff will review your submission form and reach out to schedule an intake call. Intake call questions can be found here.
LVCF held an information session regarding this opportunity on November 17, 2020.
Lehigh Valley Community Foundation’s Nonprofit Effectiveness Advisory Committee will review the applications and may seek input from additional trusted stakeholders.
Organizations will be notified about their grant request in January 2021.
Process & Deadlines
November 9, 2020 - December 11, 2020: Criteria self-assessment form was shared
November 17, 2020, 10:00 am - 11:30 am: Information session was held
December 16th, December 17th, December 18th: Intake calls take place
January 2021: Notification of award status. (Terms and Conditions)
March 2021: Nonprofit Effectiveness cycle begins.
How we evaluate
The submitted information will be reviewed by the Nonprofit Effectiveness Advisory Committee, which is made up of past Nonprofit Effectiveness Pilot grantee recipients and leaders in the field. The information will be evaluated to determine how well the project and organization fits the following criteria:
- If the project will strengthen an organization that supports the needs of BIPOC individuals
- if the project has been selected with intention
- if the project has been selected by several internal stakeholders (not just the ED or Board Chair);
- if the project submitted has clear outcomes;
- if the organization is self-aware;
- and if the organization is able to participate in the pilot activities.
The organization must also fit all stated eligibility criteria. The Nonprofit Effectiveness Advisory Committee will recommend awards to representatives of the Lehigh Valley Community Foundation’s Board of Directors for final approval.
Nonprofit Effectiveness Advisory Committee members
The below members contributed to developing the process, criteria, and eligibility for the 2021 Nonprofit Effectiveness Program. The Lehigh Valley Community Foundation would like to recognize these individuals for sharing their knowledge and experience to contribute to the 2021 Nonprofit Effectiveness Program:
- Victoria Montero, Hispanic Center Lehigh Valley
- Adrian Shanker, Bradbury-Sullivan LGBT Community Center Center
- Kumari Ghafoor-Davis, MSW, Community Action Committee Lehigh Valley and Council Member for the Fund for Racial Justice and Equity at the United Way of the Greater Lehigh Valley
- Phyllis Alexander, National Coalition Building Institute
- Janice Thomas, Third Street Alliance
- Greg Ramos, Community Investments Committee Member, LVCF Board Member & Lehigh Valley United
- Melinda Stumpf, LVCF Board Member & PPL
Promotional Material For Grantee Organizations
- Guidelines for Promotion
- News Release Announcing Nonprofit Effectiveness Grants 2020-2021
- Graphic FB & Twitter | Graphic Instagram
ASK MEGAN | Learn more about the Nonprofit Effectiveness Program at LVCF
Director of Community Investments
Lehigh Valley Community Foundation
840. W. Hamilton Street, Suite 310
Allentown, PA 18101
610 351-5353, ext. 11 | email@example.com