Saul H. and JoAnne F. Coplan Scholarship
Purpose of the Scholarship
The charitable purpose of the Fund is to increase the number of African Americans attending college. The donors of the scholarship believe the future of America hinges on providing access to college to students who otherwise may not be able to attend. One African American male and one African American female student will be selected annually. The scholarships will be awarded for up to four years of education at an accredited post-secondary institution.
Selection of Scholarship Recipients
An LVCF-coordinated Selection Committee will choose the students to receive scholarships. The Selection Committee may be comprised of representatives from the Foundation and other community members as approved by the Foundation’s CEO.
The determination of the Selection Committee, the selection of scholarship recipients, and the granting of scholarship funds, among other aspects of the scholarship process, shall be conducted in accordance with the Lehigh Valley Community Foundation’s Policies and Procedures for Scholarships and Awards, as in effect at any given time.
Criteria for Eligibility
The students eligible for this scholarship opportunity shall:
- Self-identify as being Black;
- Be residents of Lehigh County, Pennsylvania, and currently graduating from William Allen High School in Allentown, PA;
- Live within a household that would be considered “low-income” or “in financial need”;
- Achieve a 2.5 cumulative GPA on a scale of 4.0;
- Submit a letter of reference from a teacher or a college or career counselor;
- Provide a description or list of extracurricular activities, community service, and/or work experience;
- Submit an essay on what the student intends to accomplish in college and life.
- Other documents may be requested from applicants to confirm the eligibility criteria.
Projected Number of Scholarships and Amounts
- One male and one female student will be selected annually. If only one qualified applicant is approved, he or she will receive half of the available payout from this Fund.
- The scholarships will be awarded for up to four years of education at an accredited post-secondary institution. Recipients will be re-evaluated each year and must be in good academic standing and attending school full-time in order to continue to receive the scholarship funds in each of the four respective years.
- The Foundation will annually determine the aggregate grant amount available from the Fund in accordance with the Foundation’s Spending Policy.
- Scholarship awards will be issued directly to the student’s college or university.
The application for scholarships that will be awarded to students for Fall 2021:
- Application Period Begins: March 10, 2021
- Application Period Closes: April 30, 2021
- Awards Announced: June 2021
ASK Ashton | Learn more about the scholarship opportunities at LVCF
Assistant Director of Operations
Lehigh Valley Community Foundation
840. W. Hamilton Street, Suite 310
Allentown, PA 18101
610 351-5353 | Ashton@lvcfoundation.org