On 24 February 2022, Russia launched a large-scale military invasion of Ukraine, a southwestern neighboring country. Several officials and analysts called the invasion the largest conventional military attack in Europe since World War II. According to the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, a refugee crisis across Europe has already amounted with more than one million Ukrainians fleeing the country during the first week of the invasion.
This list is an abbreviated list of organizations that come recommended by the Council on Foundations.
You can view the full list here.
U.S.-based organizations to donate to:
- Center for Disaster Philanthropy responds to humanitarian needs, particularly among internally displaced peoples and refugees.
- Direct Relief distributes donated medicine and medical supplies to Ukrainian healthcare providers.
- GlobalGiving supports humanitarian assistance in impacted communities in Ukraine and surrounding regions where refugees have fled.
- King Baudouin Foundation United States – Sending resources to 3 “boots on the ground” organizations in Ukraine: People in Need – Ukraine, Caritas – Ukraine, and Polish Red Cross
- United Nations Foundation – Ukraine Humanitarian Fund – Your donation will help the UN and our humanitarian partners operating in Ukraine through the Ukraine Humanitarian Fund – one of the quickest and most effective ways to directly support urgent humanitarian relief on the ground..
The organizations on this list are ones that were recommended by local churches or LVCF fundholders.
- United Ukrainian American Relief Committee, Inc. – Your donations will be used for the purchase of medical supplies and equipment sent to our contacts and volunteer network in Ukraine.
- The Jewish Federation – Through the Jewish Federation of the Lehigh Valley – The Jewish Federation is participating in a continental special campaign to assist Jews in Ukraine.
- American Jewish Joint Distribution Committee: Ukrainian Emergency Relief Fund – In more than 1,000 locations across Ukraine, JDC provides a lifeline for an estimated 40,000 Jewish elderly and 2,500 poor Jewish children and their families through its network of care services
- International Rescue Committee: Ukraine – Over 1 million refugees have been forced to flee Ukraine. Help the IRC send vital supplies to displaced children and families.