AFP, Eastern PA Chapter to Celebrate National Philanthropy Day with a Free Virtual Ceremony
Allentown, Pa., November 6, 2020—The Eastern PA Chapter of the Association of Fundraising Professionals (AFP) honored the people, organizations, and businesses that stepped up during the COVID-19 pandemic during the chapter’s 2020 National Philanthropy Day Awards Ceremony. The Greater Lehigh Valley COVID-19 Community Response Fund, established by the Lehigh Valley Community Foundation and the United Way of the Greater Lehigh Valley, received the chapter’s Outstanding Community Champion Award. Through this Fund, dozens of organizations collaborated to strengthen emergency services for community members who were disproportionately impacted by the pandemic in Lehigh, Northampton and Carbon counties.
Together with a Strategic Response Team of community leaders, 23 funders united to provide a rapid, informed and coordinated approach to assessing emerging needs and getting dollars where they’re needed most. (See video of award presentation of the Outstanding Community Champion Award at the bottom of this webpage. The Awards program was held on Wednesday, November 18 from 9:00 to 10:00 a.m. To view the entire program, use this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?
Kurt Landes, President and General Manager of the Lehigh Valley IronPigs, will serve as master of ceremonies for the free event that will be held virtually on November 18th at 9am. He will be joined by Sharon Alexander, CFRE, AFP Eastern PA Chapter President to welcome all who wish to attend. PPL and North Star Construction Management are the Lead Sponsors of the event that celebrates philanthropy and good will by honoring those making an impact on the Greater Lehigh Valley area during this unprecedented time.
The AFP Eastern PA Chapter also will pay tribute to the following honorees during the National Philanthropy Day Awards Ceremony:
- Outstanding Philanthropists – Vince & Michelle Sorgi, nominated by Girl Scouts of Eastern PA
- Outstanding Foundation – Andy Derr Foundation for Kidney Cancer Research, nominated by Lehigh Valley Health Network
- Outstanding Large Business – North Star Construction, nominated by Lehigh Valley Health Network
- Outstanding Small Business – Eight Oaks Farm Distillery, nominated by Cancer Support Community of the Greater Lehigh Valley
- Outstanding Nonprofit – Meals on Wheels, nominated by Moravian College
- Outstanding Collaborative Project – Lehigh Valley Regional Homeless Advisory Board, nominated by New Bethany Ministries
- Outstanding Youth in Philanthropy – Project Quarantine, East Stroudsburg Jr. High School, nominated by LVHN Pocono Foundation
- Outstanding Community Volunteer – Cathy Coyne, nominated by New Bethany Ministries
For more information regarding this event, or to register, please visit www.afpeasternpa.org.
About National Philanthropy Day
National Philanthropy Day (NPD) celebrates the charitable work that everybody does to create impact in their communities. AFP Eastern Pennsylvania’s annual NPD Awards Breakfast honors the professionals, volunteers, and organizations that bring the love of humankind to life every day.
About AFP Eastern PA Chapter
Founded in 1986, the AFP Eastern Pennsylvania Chapter is a regional professional association whose membership is comprised of persons involved in development, public relations, non-profit management and fundraising consulting. It is a chapter of the international organization, Association of Fundraising Professionals. The majority of chapter members represent organizations in Lehigh and Northampton counties. The Chapter currently has a membership of approximately 150 fundraising professionals.